(Kia ora to the Daily Post for some of this content) The best kapa haka teams that performed at the national competition Te Matatini o Te Ra 2011 in Gisborne last month will be preparing for a new battle – raising money for the Christchurch Earthquake Appeal.
Te Ru o Te Manawa concert this month will feature the top finalist groups from Te Matatini, alongside Te Arawa kapa haka teams Manaia, Nga Uri o Te Whanoa and Tuhourangi-Ngati Wahiao at Rotorua’s Energy Events Centre on March 19.
Event co-ordinator Donna Grant said 1000 tickets had already been requested and encouraged those interested in watching the “best of Te Matatini o Te Ra” to book soon.
The top nine teams were chosen from 42 teams over a three-day competition between teams nationwide and Australia last month.
All funds raised from ticket sales will contribute towards the Christchurch Earthquake Appeal. Mrs Grant said she was looking forward to a great concert and making a significant financial contribution from such a strong cultural passion.
“We all feel the loss and sadness of everyone in Christchurch and this is our way of showing our support.”
Tickets are available through Ticketmaster costing $20 for adults, and $10 for students with ID and kaumatua. -
Children under 5 are free but they need a ticket for admission.
- For more information, contact co-ordinator Donna Grant at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tickets will be available for purchase through Ticketmaster from tomorrow afternoon onwards (3.3.2011)
- Adults $20
- Students with ID $20
- Kaumatua $20 (An allocated area will be set aside for Kaumatua)
- Children Under 5 FREE (they will need a ticket for admission)
- Performers will be asked to purchase a ticket to assist with fundraising efforts
Ticket Types: ‘General Admission’ Tickets will be available as well as ‘Allocated Seat’ Ticket Purchases
The response for the 3,000 available tickets has been overwhelming and Te Arawa is confident that the Rotorua Energy Events Centre will be packed with enthusiastic fans of kapa haka.
8.00am | Doors Open
- 9.00am | 1st Group – Te Arawa En Masse (Manaia, Nga Uri o Te Whanoa, Tuhourangi-Ngati Wahiao)
- 9.30am | Te Hokowhitu a Tu
- 10.00am | Te Iti Kahurangi
- 10.30am | Opotiki Mai Tawhiti
- 11.00am | Ngati Rangiwewehi
11.30am | Half Hour Lunch Break
- 12.00pm | Whangara Mai Tawhiti
- 12.30pm | Waihirere
- 1.00pm | Te Whanau a Apanui
- 1.30pm | Te Waka Huia
- 2.00pm | Te Mataarae I Orehu
2.30pm | Karakia/Finish