MAF are holding several regional hui to further inform those landowners. Please feel free to forward this email and attached invite to any Maori landowners you think may have Pre-1990 forest.
MAF is holding a series of information evenings on Forestry in the Emissions Trading Scheme and in particular how it relates to forests planted before 1990. Pre 1990 forests in the ETS have the opportunity to gain carbon credits, and in some cases, have obligations for owners. However, there is only a limited time to apply for the one-off allocation of carbon credits, or to apply for an exemption from the ETS that can apply to Pre 1990 forests. Attending the information evening will help you understand how your Maori land interests may be affected by the ETS and what to do next.
Representatives from the Maori Land Court will also be available to help answer any questions.
Hui dates and location:
- Tauranga:1 June (5.30-7pm) Tauranga Moana Trust Board, 3 The Strand
- Rotorua: 7 June (5.30-7pm) Waiariki Institute of Technology, 0 Block, Old Taupo Road
- Whakatane:8 June (1-2.30pm) Awanuiarangi wananga, Conference Room 1, 34 Domain Rd
- Taupo: 9 June (5.30-7pm) Baptist Hall, Corner Rifle Range Road and Taupo View Road
- Hamilton: 15 June (5.30-7pm) Te Puni Kokiri, Waitomo House, 6 Garden Place
- Te Kuiti: 29 June (1-3.30pm) Presbyterian hall, next to the Warehouse, Rora Street
Please pass this on to other trustees/landowners on your block and please let me know on 07 921 3401 or Nicola.firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan to attend as we need to know numbers for tea/coffee.