The Mana Party is calling for all remaining charges against those arrested in the Tuhoe terror police raids to be dropped immediately.
Mana leader Hone Harawira who will be at the Auckland High Court today where charges against all but four of those arrested on October 13, 2007 are to be withdrawn, says the Police and Crown handling of the raids and subsequent charges has been a complete farce and it is absurd for any of the charges to proceed.
He says the only possible explanation for continuing with any of the charges is a Police attempt to save face however he says continuation will only result in further embarrassment for the Police and more cost to taxpayers.
“New Zealanders from all walks of life have watched aghast as this botched operation has played out first with the dropping of ill-concieved terrorism charges and then last week the dropping of charges against 13 of those arrested whose lives have been wrecked for nearly four years.
“Those still before the court appear to have been randomly chosen and it is both inhumane and unjust to be continuing what is little but Police persecution.”
Mr Harawira says all those who have suffered from gross Police and Crown incompetence must be adequately compensated as must families, including those up the Ruatoki Valley whose lives were turned upside down by the nazi style raids.
For further Information: