The Maori Research Institute was set up to create opportunities for Maori to become interested and active participants in the sciences, and innovations projects which are so vital in the future development of Maori lands and business. The Institute announces its first national conference on the theme “Maori Lands: Business Opportunities and Challenges,” reflecting the vital role, Maori lands play in sustaining our economy, our environment, and our communities. Another key component of the conference is to build relationships between all the primary stakeholders in the Maori lands, to bring more Maori land entities in contact with each other, and to showcase some of the success stories.
Some of the planned sessions include:
- Crown Research Institutes and the Maori Community
- Biological farming under different land uses managed by Maori Farmers
- Business opportunities from Maori lands sustainable forestry, honey and essential oils, ginseng, bio-energy, geothermal energy, and carbon trading to name a few
- Challenges in Maori land use development marginal lands, Psa in kiwifruit orchards, genetically modified food products, and response to climate change, as examples.
- Current and future Maori business leaders
Key Contact Person:
Dr. Guna Magesan, Senior Scientist & Conference Director
07 349 1943 or 027 919 4268