Whanau Maori – we have the potential power to stop the asset sales from happening. But we need to act now!
Government asset sales cannot go ahead yet because of our water rights.
The Waitangi Tribunal says that the Government must halt its asset sales programme until water rights can be sorted out. This is annoying for the Government because they want to get the asset sales programme off the ground now.
Government now need the approval of Iwi.
To quickly sort out water rights the Government may approach certain Iwi with a deal. Iwi with water interests that our Government are likely to approach include Waikato, Tuwharetoa/Te Arawa and Ngai Tahu. But decisions made by any one Iwi will impact on all other Iwi and hapu.
The Government wants to move fast.
In exchange for letting the asset sales go through, those Iwi may be offered cash and/or shares following any asset sale.
THE GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO SEAL THESE DEALS QUICKLY!
These are the things for whanau and hapu to consider:
- That we have the responsibility to protect and sustain our environment.
- That no one can own water (least of all the government) but we as hapu declare our responsibility to be kaitiaki.
- That the importance and value of water is far beyond any cash or share value.
- That Iwi representatives do not make decisions until whanau and hap? are clear what any deal might involve.
- That it is local hapu who are the custodians of rivers, springs, lakes and wetlands. Hapu should make the decisions.
- That we reject any timeframe or process that does not allow all of the above.
- 1. Contact your Iwi representatives as soon as possible to ask what their plans are with any potential deals.
- 2. Get this message out to all whanau and raise it wherever you can. Use social media, ask to speak on your local Iwi radio stations, raise it at any other hui.
- 3. Show up in force to any ‘consultation’ hui and ask all the questions so we are absolutely clear what is being given up and what is being gained in any deal.
Iwi contact details:
- Whanau can email any of the authorities below and ask them to forward this question directly to the Iwi representative.
“What are the plans for involving whanau and hapu in any deals around water rights and asset sales?”
- Te Arawa Lakes Trust – http://www.tearawa.iwi.nz/contact
- Tuwharetoa Settlement Trust – [email protected]
- Te Runanga O Ngai Tahu - [email protected]
- Waikato River Authority – [email protected]
Kia ora whanau
From Te Wharepora Hou
About Te Wharepora Hou
Te Wharepora Hou is a collective of wahine who are mainly Tamaki Makaurau based, but we have strong participation from wahine based elsewhere in Aotearoa and the world. We have come together to ensure a stronger voice for wahine and are concerned primarily with the wellbeing of whanau, hapu, iwi and all that pertains to Papatuanuku and the sustenance of our people.