Ngati Porou Head to The Polls- Voting in the TRONPnui Election 2015 Begins
Today marked the first day of voting in the Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou 2015 election. The election provides the opportunity for Ngati Porou to have their say about who will represent the collective interests of the iwi around the board table as well as make decisions about the tribe’s $200 million collective asset base.
Thirty-eight candidates have thrown their names into the hat to take up one of the 14 available elected representative positions on Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou. Voting closes in a month’s time and participants are able to cast up to two votes for candidates representing their Rohenga Tipuna (marae and hapu clusters). There are seven Rohenga Tipuna and each is represented by two elected representatives, one of whom must be noho kaenga (residing in the Ngati Porou rohe, mai i Potikirua ki te Toka a Taiau).
To participate in the voting process participants must have Ngati Porou whakapapa, be aged 18 years or older, and registered on the Ngati Porou Register. For Ngati Porou Adult Members who haven’t registered yet it’s not too late – they have until the close of voting to register and request a provisional vote by 12 noon Wednesday October 14.
Voting packs were also sent out today, and this information will provide eligible voters with the opportunity to select their preferred elected representatives via postal vote or internet voting. Voters also have the option of casting their vote in person, or dropping off their voting form, at one of two wahi pooti (polling booths) located at the TRONPnui Ruatoria Office and TRONPnui [Te Tini o Porou] Gisborne Office during the last 3 days of voting
Profiles of the 38 candidates can be viewed online now by clicking the following link – www.ngatiporou.com/nati-biz/election-2015/confirmed-candidates
Over the next few weeks Radio Ngati Porou will also be playing audio profiles recorded by the candidates during their morning Nga Take o Te Wa current affairs show. The Gisborne Herald and Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou have also provided the opportunity for candidates to share their vision for Ngati Porou in a 12-page special election feature inserted into the Gisborne Herald on Saturday, September 19.
- Read the Quick guide to voting in the 2015 TRONPnui Election (see attached) – http://www.ngatiporou.com/article/ngati-porou-head-polls-voting-tronpnui-2015-election-begins
- If you haven’t received your voting pack by the second week of voting please contact the electionz Helpline Tel: 0508 666 557 Email: email@example.com
- To request a provisional vote please contact the electionz Helpline. Tel: 0508 666 557 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- To register or to update your contact details or Primary Marae/Rohenga Tipuna please contact the Ngati Porou Register Administrator:
- Once you have received your voting pack with your online voting details go to www.ngatiporou.com to vote online.