- Tame Iti is free (+photos)Posted 85 days ago
- Lauryn Hill supports Maori Designer at RaggamuffinPosted 105 days ago
- White Island volcanic activity a growing concernPosted 120 days ago
- Maori culture adapting to presence in online mediaPosted 135 days ago
- #IdleNoMore – an Aotearoa perspective | Marama DavidsonPosted 137 days ago
- Ainu Youth use crowdsourcing site to fundraise for trip to visit Maori in AotearoaPosted 137 days ago
- Welcoming in the New YearPosted 138 days ago
Matatini 2011 marks special anniversary for Pita Sharples
(Source | NewsTalkZB) Maori Party co-leader Pita Sharples will perform for the 20th time at the Matatini Kapa Haka festival, becoming one of two people to have performed at every one
The 20th Matatini Kapa Haka festival starts this week and it is a special anniversary for Maori Party co-leader Pita Sharples.
He is one of only two people to have performed at every festival.
Dr Sharples says over the years kapa haka has improved.
The performances take the crowd through the good and bad things affecting Maori, from the decline of Te Reo to the foreshore and seabed.
Dr Sharples says this is the last year he will perform at the festival because he wants to make way for some younger performers.
He will perform with his group on Thursday at the week-long festival, taking place near Gisborne.