- Tame Iti is free (+photos)Posted 89 days ago
- Lauryn Hill supports Maori Designer at RaggamuffinPosted 109 days ago
- White Island volcanic activity a growing concernPosted 124 days ago
- Maori culture adapting to presence in online mediaPosted 139 days ago
- #IdleNoMore – an Aotearoa perspective | Marama DavidsonPosted 141 days ago
- Ainu Youth use crowdsourcing site to fundraise for trip to visit Maori in AotearoaPosted 141 days ago
- Welcoming in the New YearPosted 142 days ago
Urewera 18 seek right to a jury trial – support them 3 March 2011 Wellington
(Source | No Rigth Turn) The Urewera 18′s appeal against the decision to deny them a jury trial goes before the Court of Appeal in Wellington tomorrow. Its an important appeal; what’s at stake here is the credibility of the trial, and by extension of our entire justice system. Without a jury in this case, without the vital bullshit detector of 12 random citizens, we simply can’t have confidence in the result. And that’s a Bad Thing no matter what you think of the merits of the case.
October 15th Solidarity Wellington will be holding a protest outside the court from 8am. If you care about justice in this country, I suggest you go to it. You don’t have to like the defendants, or approve of what they’re accused of doing, or even think they’re innocent; a credible trial process and a credible justice system is more important than any of that.