- Tame Iti is free (+photos)Posted 81 days ago
- Lauryn Hill supports Maori Designer at RaggamuffinPosted 102 days ago
- White Island volcanic activity a growing concernPosted 117 days ago
- Maori culture adapting to presence in online mediaPosted 132 days ago
- #IdleNoMore – an Aotearoa perspective | Marama DavidsonPosted 134 days ago
- Ainu Youth use crowdsourcing site to fundraise for trip to visit Maori in AotearoaPosted 134 days ago
- Welcoming in the New YearPosted 135 days ago
Tau Henare calls Hone Harawira out on Twitter
(By Andrea Vance) MINISTER OF TWITTER: Tau Henare wrote: ‘Hone Harawira is so racist, he has chocolate milk in his cup of tea’.
He addressed the remark to Social Development Minister Paula Bennett – but spelt her name wrong. Although Bennett set up an account, she does not use it.
Her spokeswoman said she had not seen the message.
It’s unclear what sparked the taunt – neither Henare nor Harawira were answering their phones this afternoon.
Labour MP Trevor Mallard, also an enthusiastic social media user, said “it’s beyond the limits.”
“The line is drawn in a different place on Twitter, but in this case Tau has gone beyond it. It’s unlikely to upset many people, mainly because of the way that Hone is perceived by a lot of people.
“Some people will see it as Hone getting a bit of his own back. If it was said about anyone else it would be regarded much more negatively.”
It’s not the first time Henare has made a dig at Harawira. Last year Harawira said he would not feel comfortable if one his children dated a Pakeha – Henare said his comments were “racist and stupid.”
“It’s like watching the ugly end of a relationship that’s been breaking down for some time,” Mallard said.
Prime Minister John Key refused to comment.
What do you think whanau?