- Tame Iti is free (+photos)Posted 81 days ago
- Lauryn Hill supports Maori Designer at RaggamuffinPosted 102 days ago
- White Island volcanic activity a growing concernPosted 117 days ago
- Maori culture adapting to presence in online mediaPosted 132 days ago
- #IdleNoMore – an Aotearoa perspective | Marama DavidsonPosted 134 days ago
- Ainu Youth use crowdsourcing site to fundraise for trip to visit Maori in AotearoaPosted 134 days ago
- Welcoming in the New YearPosted 134 days ago
Hone on same-sex marriage (No Right Turn Blog)
This afternoon the Otago University vote chat interviewed Mana Party leader Hone Harawira. I took the opportunity to ask the usual question about same-sex marriage: did he support it? Would he vote for a member’s bill if someone else put it up? His response was disappointing:
So, there you have it: Hone has a narrow conception of human rights, which does not include marriage (or freedom of speech, or the freedom to elect your own government). He doesn’t like choice. While it seems he hasn’t quite made up his mind yet, these are not good signs. If you support same-sex marriage, then I’d suggest not voting Mana.
Update: On the topic of Hone’s “voted for Civil Unions”, its worth noting that he wasn’t an MP at the time. He did however vote against the Marriage (Gender Clarification) Amendment Bill, which would have prohibited same-sex marriage.
Posted by Idiot/Savant at 9/01/2011 12:47:00 PM