- Tame Iti is free (+photos)Posted 86 days ago
- Lauryn Hill supports Maori Designer at RaggamuffinPosted 107 days ago
- White Island volcanic activity a growing concernPosted 122 days ago
- Maori culture adapting to presence in online mediaPosted 137 days ago
- #IdleNoMore – an Aotearoa perspective | Marama DavidsonPosted 139 days ago
- Ainu Youth use crowdsourcing site to fundraise for trip to visit Maori in AotearoaPosted 139 days ago
- Welcoming in the New YearPosted 140 days ago
BOP Civil Defence Emergency Management Group – Threat Status Notification
Current Status: Yellow (Potential threat to NZ)
National Advisory – Volcanic Activity
Potential threat to NZ
Summary: Volcanic activity is occurring at Mt Tongariro and could pose a threat to the following areas/regions:
- Hawkes Bay
- Bay of Plenty
People living in or near the affected areas should:
- Stay indoors (if you are in the vicinity of the ash cloud): volcanic ash is a health hazard, especially if you suffer from breathing difficulty. If outside, seek shelter (e.g. in a car or building)
- When indoors, close all windows and doors to limit the entry of volcanic ash.
- If caught in volcanic ash falls: Wear a dust mask or use a handkerchief or cloth over your nose and mouth; protect your eyes by wearing goggles. Wear eyeglasses, NOT contact lenses as fine ash will get under the lens.
- Listen to the radio for updated emergency information and instructions. Follow any evacuation orders issued by authorities. Refer to the back page of the Yellow Pages for evacuation advice.
- Do not tie up phone lines with non-emergency calls.
- Stay out of designated restricted zones. Effects of a volcanic eruption can be experienced many miles from a volcano.
- Detailed safety advice will come from local authorities and emergency services in the area. People should act on it promptly.
This National Advisory -Volcanic Activity will remain in effect until a cancellation message is issued by the Ministry of Civil Defence & Emergency Management.
- Click Here to visit the threat status page