- Tame Iti is free (+photos)Posted 81 days ago
- Lauryn Hill supports Maori Designer at RaggamuffinPosted 102 days ago
- White Island volcanic activity a growing concernPosted 117 days ago
- Maori culture adapting to presence in online mediaPosted 132 days ago
- #IdleNoMore – an Aotearoa perspective | Marama DavidsonPosted 134 days ago
- Ainu Youth use crowdsourcing site to fundraise for trip to visit Maori in AotearoaPosted 134 days ago
- Welcoming in the New YearPosted 135 days ago
Maori say eruption was NOT a surprise (+video +photos of #ashcloud)
Whanau have told TangataWhenua.com that they have noticed other interesting geothermal activity. Wally Lee a Trustee for the Tuhourangi Maori Authority mentioned that Waikete geyser had “roared” back to life in recent weeks, and that korero from the past suggested that during the 1886 Tarawera eruption, thermal activity too had increased. He said that the raise was attributed to pressure building underground, similar to what they had heard happening at Ketetahi Springs at Tongario.
Geologists have also pointed to disappearing crater lakes, similar to the ocean breathing in minutes before a tsunami as a precursor to volcanic activity.
Te Moananui Rameka a who guides for Pure Ora Walks, the only Maori concession holder, who guide the Crossing and provide cultural interpretations, began seeing tohu around December, he and his team had noticed increased geothermal activity around Ketetahi Springs, including the rapid lowering of the Emerald Lakes and new geysers being born and had passed this information onto others. He felt that this was a tohu, a reminder and sign from both Tongariro and Ruamoko that people should not take the maunga for granted.
Interesting then that GNS scientists say the eruption came as a “total surprise” and that “volcanos” don’t speak to each other, but we’d disagree and whanau believe if they had a more holistic perspective they too would have seen the signs.
What have you seen whanau? Any increased geothermal activity in your area? Email us your story and photos and let us know.