The upcoming National Summit on Water, looks to be heavy hitting and filled with on the ground experiences from those who have actively been dealing with these issues over the years. Speakers include Dr Ranginui Walker, Sir Eddie Durie, Sir Tumu Te Heuheu and Sir Michael Cullen.
There is considerable Te Arawa inclusion with Te Rangikaheke Bidois, Pia Callaghan, Hakopa Paul, Rawiri Te Whare and Roger Pikia.
The following details the programme for the upcoming Summit which is being held in Turangawaewae, Ngaruawahia on Thursday 13 September 2012.
NOTE: Please ensure you register. Attendants will be circulating with clip boards and registration forms.
There will be an open forum at the end of each speaker’s presentation for anyone who wishes to comment or ask questions from the floor.
Speaking order subject to change.
Introduction by Tukoroirangi Morgan
Dr Ranginui Walker
- The clash between Rangatiratanga and Kawanatanga
Sir Edward Taihukurei Durie
- Overview of the New Maori Council claim and the findings Waitangi Tribunal
- Protecting the sacred spring of Poroti
The Te Arawa experience
- Te Rangikaheke Bidois, Pia Callaghan, Hakopa Paul
Sir Michael Cullen
- Political analysis and formulating next steps
Ngati Whao Ngati Tahu (Rawiri Te Whare, Roger Pikia)
- Operationalising our rights into Geothermal Power
Sir Tumu Te Heuheu
- Update of the Iwi leaders working party on Water
Policy and position round up by Political parties
Closing speech by Kiingi Tuheitia