- Tame Iti is free (+photos)Posted 82 days ago
- Lauryn Hill supports Maori Designer at RaggamuffinPosted 103 days ago
- White Island volcanic activity a growing concernPosted 118 days ago
- Maori culture adapting to presence in online mediaPosted 133 days ago
- #IdleNoMore – an Aotearoa perspective | Marama DavidsonPosted 134 days ago
- Ainu Youth use crowdsourcing site to fundraise for trip to visit Maori in AotearoaPosted 135 days ago
- Welcoming in the New YearPosted 135 days ago
Marae burns in the Waikato
(TV3) A fire investigator will this morning attempt to uncover the cause of a blaze which has seriously damaged a large marae in the Waikato.
Several people escaped unharmed from the Waahi Marae which caught alight at around midnight.
Fire Communications Shift Manager Jaron Phillips says teams were at the scene shortly after.
“Seven appliances [were] brought in from around the Waikato two of those were water tankers. One of the problems the fire fighters faced was a shortage of water so those tankers were brought in from Huntly and Te Kauwhata.”
A separate building near the marae has been badly smoke logged.