Latest News

#IdleNoMore – an Aotearoa perspective | Marama Davidson

#IdleNoMore – an Aotearoa perspective | Marama Davidson

• Ratings12345

Marama1Originally Posted on

Just my own personal ‘what’s on top for me right now’ rant.

1. Ongoing abuse of indigenous peoples by coloniser Canada on that Great Turtle land.
We know this here.

2. Ongoing resistance by those indigenous nations to maintain their sovereignty and responsibility over their lands and peoples.
We know this here.

3. Canadian colonising government and Bill C45 – latest smack in the face that again oversteps indigenous authority over their lands.
We know this here.

4. Four wahine of that land stand to protect our earth Mama against slaughter and for indigenous authority. So begins Idle No More.
We have seen such stands here.

5. Chief Theresa Spence of the Attawapiskat Nation begins a hunger strike until Prime Minister Harper agrees to meet with indigenous leaders properly.
We have seen sacrifice here.

6. Today on day 24 of Chief Spence’s commitment, Harper agrees to meet with ‘First Nation Leaders’. We celebrate that for Chief Spence and her peoples. Her solid stand is inspiring, but we are also wary. Because we have seen how those in power do not like to share it.
We know how that works here.

Any opportunity to shine an internationally strong and bright torch on the same issues that our people here on the ground have been fighting for generations, is an opportunity worth pouring my own energy into.

A big mihi to our people fighting extraction industries to protect our whenua and our wai. A big mihi to our people revitalising our reo rangatira. A big mihi to our people trying to restore our struggling whanau to their tupuna base which nurtures our mokopuna as the taonga they are. A big mihi to Tuhoe resistance. A big mihi to our gardeners, our songwriters, our poets, our performing artists. A big mihi to our ahi kaa back home on all our marae, keeping it warm for us to go back to. A big mihi to our kuia and koro who walked the back of our Mama to parliament, who took the beatings for speaking their Mama tonguee, who showed us we have never been idle.

I am livid. I am proud. I am hoha. I am inspired. I am powerless. I am brave. I am angry. I’ am thankful. I feel ripped off. I have aggression in me. I am also in love – with my people here, gone and yet to arrive.

Time for a better planet. Idle No More.

Marama Davidson (Ngapuhi/Te Rarawa/Ngati Porou peoples)
#idlenomore

(Image sourced by TangataWhenua.com from here.)

(4) Comments

1. Sue Abel

Kia ora Marama I heard your interview about this on the Chris Laidlaw show. You were so great. Congratulations. Anyone who missed it can go to http://www.radionz.co.nz/search/results?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=marama

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest Tweets

• DigitalMaori11:16pm. Still at work. Yay for long weekend. Up for dawn parade 5.30am. Lest we forget #kiamaumahara http://t.co/OymYiuyOjB about 17 hours ago
  • DigitalMaori@geysercf super super awesome Turangi about a day ago
  • DigitalMaoriOur tamariki totally love #playtopia here in #Rotorua Now...slideeeeeeeee... http://t.co/LaI0Wc19Al about a day ago
  • DigitalMaori@geysercf oh and super awesome Taupo! about a day ago
  • DigitalMaori@geysercf Nga mihi ki a koe ki a koutou. Awesome Rotorua! about a day ago
  • DigitalMaoriRT @ecosophnz: 'Hacking for good'- this looks interesting:RT @AklTransport #HACKAKL - First warm up event next Wednesday 30th April http://… about a day ago
  • DigitalMaorianei na whaea Annette http://t.co/gYxQOt47Co about 2 days ago
  • DigitalMaoriaue... @tautokai about 2 days ago
  • DigitalMaoriRT @BrianBoruNZ: @DigitalMaori @runningwhio @tautokai @LewSOS Greens in Otepoti are heavily involved in social/envmntal actions together wi… about 2 days ago
  • DigitalMaori@tautokai @runningwhio well if I can be so bold, what new combined actions could you see Greens and Mana working together on? about 2 days ago
  • DigitalMaori@caffeine_addict hahaha that's the one! about 2 days ago
  • DigitalMaori@tautokai @runningwhio we hear that only a combined left can beat National yet see no combined effort. Potentials there. Just need action. about 2 days ago
  • DigitalMaori@caffeine_addict isn't that the guy who voted with middle NZ on foreshore seabed, forgot he was Maori and got booted out? Oh yea, him... about 2 days ago
  • DigitalMaori@tautokai @runningwhio I'm Mana party hard & often hear 'the left' need to work together but usually only see our members doing the yards about 2 days ago
  • DigitalMaoriRT @nzmusicmonth: Country Album & Song Finalists Announced http://t.co/v6WEEUmWCJ about 2 days ago
  • DigitalMaori@runningwhio @tautokai @LewSOS agree. We attended loads of rally's demos community actions in 2013 & 2015 and few to no Greens attended about 2 days ago
  • DigitalMaoriRT @deltablues_king: Interested to know if @stevenljoyce has a decent comeback to this #epicburn by @TheBubbleBubble ? #nzpol http://t.co/8… about 2 days ago
  • DigitalMaori@runningwhio @tautokai @LewSOS @buzzandhum @MorganGodfery interesting, as most of the Maori issues we followed in 2013 had few Green voices about 2 days ago
  • DigitalMaoriRT @reomaori: He kaupapa o te wā: te whakawāteatanga o tērā o tātou i tana tūranga. Ētahi wā, ka tuhia e mātou he kaupapa o te wā ki tō tāt… about 2 days ago
  • DigitalMaori@althecat @winstonpeters @matuashane This is like wrestling, when the fan fave turns into the heel, then redeems himself and returns about 2 days ago