- Tame Iti is free (+photos)Posted 113 days ago
- Lauryn Hill supports Maori Designer at RaggamuffinPosted 134 days ago
- White Island volcanic activity a growing concernPosted 149 days ago
- Maori culture adapting to presence in online mediaPosted 164 days ago
- #IdleNoMore – an Aotearoa perspective | Marama DavidsonPosted 165 days ago
- Ainu Youth use crowdsourcing site to fundraise for trip to visit Maori in AotearoaPosted 166 days ago
- Welcoming in the New YearPosted 166 days ago
California Youth Demand a Plan
Kia ora whanau
While many whanau at home in Aotearoa are enjoying the sun, the water, good kai and whanau, we are here visiting our whanau in California where the Gun Debate is astonishingly fatal. We all heard about the tamariki and their kaiako being shot at their school and every other day, we hear about more people being taken out by gunfire across the country. Tino mamae i nga whanau.
So it was heart-warmingly assuring to see this inspired video from a local initiative Youth Demand a Plan:
“Last week’s Newtown, Connecticut tragedy has sparked a serious discussion about gun control and school safety. Young people must play a role in this conversation, so we brought together Building Healthy Communities youth leaders in Los Angeles to create a video to talk about real solutions to school and community safety, such as investing in more counseling, mentors and health services instead of turning schools into fortresses.