- Tame Iti is free (+photos)Posted 88 days ago
- Lauryn Hill supports Maori Designer at RaggamuffinPosted 108 days ago
- White Island volcanic activity a growing concernPosted 123 days ago
- Maori culture adapting to presence in online mediaPosted 138 days ago
- #IdleNoMore – an Aotearoa perspective | Marama DavidsonPosted 140 days ago
- Ainu Youth use crowdsourcing site to fundraise for trip to visit Maori in AotearoaPosted 140 days ago
- Welcoming in the New YearPosted 141 days ago
TV3 banned from Te Matatini 2013 #haka2013 #TeMatatini2013
Te Matatini has just announced that Mediaworks TV3 has been banned from Te Matatini for” using vision from the Te Matatini National Kapa Haka Festival 2013 for Friday (22.2.13) after its primetime 6pm news bulletin” which was in clear breach of news access guidelines.
Te Matatini managing director Darrin Apanui said he was very disappointed with TV3’s actions, which breached an agreement between Te Matatini and host broadcaster Maori Television.
Mr Apanui wanted to send a strong message to all broadcasters who wish to access vision from Maori Television’s broadcast that any breach would be “unacceptable.” TV3 broadcast 26 seconds of vision of a performance on stage yesterday before it was allowed to.
- The ban will take place from 8.30am today to 8.30am tomorrow.
The ban comes amid an rules developed as a result of the exclusive deal with Maori Television & Radio Te Arawa to broadcast the National competition.
While there has been some debate in terms of pros and cons, what we have seen on the ground is that media outlets who believe in the kaupapa of kapa haka and the value it brings to the community are willing to abide by those rules regardless.