- Tame Iti is free (+photos)Posted 88 days ago
- Lauryn Hill supports Maori Designer at RaggamuffinPosted 109 days ago
- White Island volcanic activity a growing concernPosted 124 days ago
- Maori culture adapting to presence in online mediaPosted 139 days ago
- #IdleNoMore – an Aotearoa perspective | Marama DavidsonPosted 141 days ago
- Ainu Youth use crowdsourcing site to fundraise for trip to visit Maori in AotearoaPosted 141 days ago
- Welcoming in the New YearPosted 142 days ago
Hori 3.0 > Have a Happy Hangi New Year!!
Morena! Morena! Faaa, long time, no blog.
Cuz, it has been fierce here in TangataWhenua.com-land. First there was that Big March to protest against the Government wanting to mine all our whenua, then came that Big Budget where everyone got trimmed back but a few got a little more, then the BIG DENY when John Key pushed Tuhoe at the door cos he said we might eat him (huh??) and now comes the BIG EVENT – MATARIKI, our Maori New Years celebration!!
I don’t wanna download on you too much but just have to say HAPPY NEW YEAR, that I hope you all eat a nice John Key-less hangi and to remind us all that sure, Matariki is more a seasonal event rather than just 1 particular day, that Matariki is traditional and does link us with many different cultures all around the World – from the US to Japan – and that we are here to bring back those intimate events of our past, into our present and out toward our future. We know if we don’t, mainstream NZ society will again shut us out and shut us down.
So we’ve got the Maori Rugby team about to take the field after a long absence, lots of educational wananga coming up and the Seabed and Foreshore Act might be that one issue that sets things alight again. Hmmmm, be a safe bet to watch that Iwi Leaders group as they’re right in there amongst it.
Ok, that’s enough. Give a bro the mic and he don’t wanna shut up! So, check out our latest ePanui (should be out later today) and the first person to leave a comment here will win a prize!!