May 12, 2021

TangataWhenua.com

Maori News & Indigenous Views

Ngati Whatua: Letter to PM John Key

4 min read

Tena koe e te Minita e John,

I also on behalf of our Tribal Leaders Grant Hawke (Chairman Orakei Trust Board,) & Naida Glavish, (Chairwoman Te Runanganui o Ngati Whatua) would also like to acknowledge you for enabling us the descendants of Ngati Whatua to be included in the entire process from the blessing of the MaoriFlag that took place at Transit HQ 05/02/10(Auckland), toof the raising of the (Maori Flag) on Aucklands Harbour Bridge on the Morning of Waitangi Day (6.15am).

We would also like to acknowledge the efforts of Te Minita ? ng? take M?ori (Doctor Pita Sharples), Pauline Kingi and her team atTe Puni Kokiri, Takawai Murphy for facilitating the consultation hui throughout the motu, and in more recent times the efforts of Chris Tooley, and Hone Harawira for his relentless supportto ensure that Ngati Whatua were an integral part of all proceedings, and I am happy to report, that thanks to Wayne McDonald, and all of his staff of the Auckland transit branch, we were, and look forward to consolidating the relationship with the members of Transit and the assistance of Mr Maxwellas Kaitiaki of Te Kara Maori on Auckland harbour bridge.

I must also pay tribute to the efforts ofMatua Rodger Maxwell (Kaitakawaenga Transit)Amster Reedy for assisting us with the blessing of the Flags, EwartBarnsley (Media Manager Transit) and Vonny Jackson for making sure that the lines of communication were never closed until the objective had been achieved, and last but not least John & Richard (Transit Bridge Maintenance) for instructing myself and my daughter Majic on the protocols on how best to raise the flag on the Bridge.

The experience for me personally wassurreal, many things came to mind in those few brief moments as I stood atop the bridge, andas the flag slowly but surely reached its way to the top of the flag pole. Our connections with the original inhabitants Nga Oho that link us to Tainui / Waikato. Kiwi Tamaki Paramount chief of The Wai-o-hua. Te Waha-akiaki, Leader and Chief of Te Taou whooccupied Te Onewa Pah, giving us (Ngati Whatua) a physical not just a spiritual connection to the land on whichthe Auckland harbour Bridge was erected.

The de-construction and burning of our village in 1951 by the state. The Hikoi 75, Takutai Moana 2004, Super City May 25 2009 commemorating 31yrs since the eviction of over 220 people the majority being descendants of the tribe. These things and many others are what these colours represent to me, the history of a peoples strive for self determination. A confirmation of thesovereignty that was guaranteed by King William IV on the 25th May 1836, and re-confirmedby Te Kawau, Te Reweti, & Te Tinana, signing the treaty on the shores of Manukau March 20 1840 with the belief that they would be instrumental also in framing the laws of the land..

No reira, Mr Prime Minister, (Kia kaha, Kia Maia, Kia Manawanui) Be strong, Have Courage, and Remain Steadfast in the knowledge that this is the flag that will continue to carry the aspirations of the future generation. Let the authority of the flags that fly on the respective Marae represent the Marae, let the Flags that represent the respective Hapu and Iwi remain with the Iwi (hei tohu Mana-Motuhake) as a sign of their tribal authority that derives from their lands forests and seas… let the Whakaminenga remain, to remind us of an autonomy that wasconfirmed andguaranteedby a King. And let the Maori Flag created by Hiraina, Jan and Lindabethe catalysttorestore and reunite Te Iwi Maori.Three colours, Two people, One Nation (He Iwi Kotahi Tatou).

In closing, we would like to thank Te Kawariki for the handing over of this taonga to the nation, and will do our utmost to ensure that the integrity and the wairua of this kara is maintained at all times that the flag is flown in Tamaki and within our tribal boundaries.

It is unfortunate to say the least thatsome ofmedia havereleased somany misleading statementsabout the flag, Hone and Hilda, in an attempt to discredit the colours and cause discontent amongst many of those who do not fully understand the wider issues.

All I can say is that each year, amidst all of the angst, prejudices and propaganda, I see more and more peopleflaunting, and flying the colours not just at Waitangi, but at festivals all over Aotearoa / NZ and the world, andas Hone statedas he stood beneath the flag pole at the treaty grounds this year.

“This is the Flag of the future,widely embraced my the chiefs of tomorrow”

“and it’s a bit like the shampoo advert, it might not happen today,

(Re: the flag not flying at Waitangi this year) but it will happen!”

Nga mihi ki a taatou katoa!
Ropata Paora (Te Taou o Ngati Whatua)

1 thought on “Ngati Whatua: Letter to PM John Key

  1. E te Iwi, t?n? koutou!

    I wish to acknowledge all of those people who have toiled & struggled throughout the decades to have the indigenous rights of the T?ngata Whenua of Aotearoa finally acknowledged on a global forum!

    I enjoy a good waiata, I will also stand to sing to demonstrate my support if a k?rero is good, but in this case, I think not, unlike some who have been singing the praises of the prime minister, and I would definately not be so bold in congratulating

    “John Key and the National Party for the boldness of their decision to work with the Maori Party in recognising that M?ori do hold a special status as the indigenous people of Aotearoa”

    (H Harawira, Ae Marika 27 april 2010)

    If JK the Nats and The P?ti M?ori were so bold, why is it that the majority of us only found out just before Pete was so boldly going to sign the declaration of on our behalf? Why was it, that a contingent of stalwarts who have championed indigenous rights for decades previous, were not there to accompany him? Why weren’t the whakaahua of all those warriors taken to that place, and placed in front of the UN for all of the world to see. They are the Soldiers of Sovereignty, We Will Remember Them, and so should they!

    I say SHAME ON YOU M?ORI PARTY!!! SHAME! SHAME!! SHAME!!!

    How can you claim to be so proud, when you went cloak & dagger to a forum of such significance, without anyone being none the wiser? (We should have celebrated with you!)

    You know, I could understand the need for such a tactic in 1975 when Matiu slipped the tribunal bill past the house, but this is 2010 e hoa m? and we are still scurrying around like Rats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I also note Tariana’s comment saying "Our priority is repeal – we promised our people we'd get that so that's our main objective. Beyond repeal our aim is to get the best deal possible for our mokopuna."

    For me, it’s Repeal or Retire! Anything less is unsatisfactory, and yet again sets a precedence to the baldheads, that they can take anything they want, when they want, in its whole state, and return a portion of it back, secure in the knowledge that our response will be, “well we tried, but at the end of the day “That was the best deal possible for our Mokopuna” Rubbish!!!!!!!! And if that’s what you are all willing to settle for on behalf of MY MOKOPUNA, THEN STEP ASIDE!!!!!!!!!

    Ng?ti Wh?tua and its K?hui Collective of hap? in the Kaipara region stated unanimously to Findlayson when he had the cheek to show his little ferrit face in our patch “That we, Ngati Wh?tua, have Always had Mana Moana dating back to before p?keha arrived on our shores, and we never relinquished title to it!”

    Well, time will tell e hoa m? as to how PONO those words are, or will they also be washed away in the sea of lies and deceit that have been the trade mark of tauiwi since as long as we can remember,

    Full & Final…………Shared interests on our Maunga,……..W?hi Tapu……. $20.000.000 that wouldn’t even buy two bloody properties on Paratai Drive…………..Lets hope not!

    Ropata P?ora Te Tao? o Ng?ti Wh?tua

    (Any comments, I’m easy enough to get a hold of!)